Requirements And How to Apply for A Working Visa
In recent years, there has been a huge increase in the immigration of people around the globe for so many reasons ranging from holidays, business, visitation and search for work – which is the highest reason why people tend to travel abroad. Moreover, before you get the permission to work in a foreign land, you must have a valid work visa. On this page, we would discuss what a work visa is, the guidelines, requirements, countries to apply for a work visa and also, how to apply.
What Is A Work Visa?
A work visa is an official permit that grants an individual the permission and right to take up a job in a foreign country. When you immigrate to a different country in search of a work, you can get employed, but you’re not permitted to resume duties and if you’re caught working without a permit, both the employer and employee will be arrested and fined. So, if you want to work in Canada, US, UK without being a citizen, you must first get a work permit to be eligible to resume work and get paid.
Types Of Work Visas
Primarily, there are 2 main types of a work permit. They are:
1) Temporary Work Visa: This type of Visa is only valid for a specific period of time, and in most cases, it covers the duration of the work or length of contract. Once the visa expires, you are to leave the country, renew/extend the visa or transfer it to a permanent work visa.
2) Permanent Work Visa: A permanent work visa allows you to live and work permanently in a foreign country where you must have been employed. After years of work and show of good conduct, you can then apply to become a citizen to enjoy more benefits.
Who Is Eligible to Apply for A Work Visa?
To apply for a work permit, you must have met the criteria below:
- You must be above 18 years and not be more than 65 years (countries maximum age for work permit differs).
- Employment letter or work contract documents
- Proof of at least 3 years working years experience in the field
- No Criminal Record
- Stable Health Condition
Work Visa Requirements
Before applying for any type of work permit, to save yourself time, you should know and prepare all required documents and also avoid visa refusal. You also desist from submitting false or forged documents as you might be banned from re-applying for years.
You need to have the following documents ready for a work permit application:
- 6 Months valid Passport
- Work permit application form
- Evidence of work employment
- Job qualification – E.g. University certificates
- Original copy of letters from previous and current employers
- Your Curriculum Vitae/resume
- Proof of financial strength
- Health Insurance Documents
If You’re applying with spouse and children:
- Marriage certificates
- Children Birth Certificates
How To Apply for A Work Visa
As expected, the permit application process differs by country. Some countries accept online and offline modes of application while some prefer the latter.
1) Online Application: This process is the very simple and easy route to applying for a work permit. You can apply by locating and visiting the official webpage of the country you want to apply for, fill the form, upload all required documents and pay the fees. Although, you might be required to download the application form and other supporting documents and visit a nearby visa office to complete your application process.
2) Offline Application: The offline mode of work permit application is visiting a physical visa office to submit your application and complete the application. You are to download the form and fill, append your signature, follow the process for application payment and submit at the designated office. The offline process to get a work visa is mostly used.
Step 1: You must have gotten a job in the country
Step 2: Gather all necessary documents as listed above
Step 3: Find out if the mode of application the country you’re applying to accepts. If they accept both offline and online application, pick one that suits you.
Step 3: Get the application form and fill the necessary details and attach supporting documents
Step 4: Initiate payment for application Fees and submit your application.
Step 5: Follow up with the embassy to know your interview date and attend. Make sure you carry along all documents required for the interview to avoid refusal.
How Long Does a Work Permit Take to Get Ready?
In normal scenarios, the application takes between 30 – 90 days. This timeframe doesn’t apply for all countries as the process is bent on the embassy, number of applications on ground, type of visa and your country you’re applying from.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which method of work visa is the fastest?
The online system of application for a work visa is the easiest and fastest. You don’t have to wait on a queue or sit in the reception waiting for your turn.
Which Country Grants Work Permit Easily?
On the list of the top five countries that grants work visas are Estonia, Followed by Australia, New Zealand, Germany and North Korea.
What Are the Common Types of Visas
The main types of visas are:
- Student Visa
- Work Visa
- Tourist Permit/Visa
- Business Visa
Which Country Seeks Workers Most?
Below are top 5 countries that have the highest employability rate:
The process to follow in getting your work visa easily isn’t far fetched. All you should do is know the criteria you must meet as an individual before applying, the documents required, application fees and how to submit your application.